Data - TOMS/SBUV TOR DATA PRODUCTS
- The above data files contain 2-D gridded
ozone residual (TOR) data in Dobson Units derived from Version 7
and collocated SBUV measurements. The monthly files contain 12
(Jan-Dec), while the seasonal files contain 4 arrays (DFJ, MAM, JJA,
The monthly time elements are 1-12, while the seasonal are 1-4.
- Data points were required to meet the
1. TOR < 80 Dobson Units
2. TOMS values < 400 Dobson Units
3. Tropopause pressure < 253 mb
- File naming convention:
[YYYY] = 4-digit year
- Data type: Gridded NetCDF Data
Longitudes: 288 bins centered on 179.375W to
(1.25 degree steps)
Latitudes: 100 bins
on 49.5 S to 49.5 N (1.00 degree steps)
- Example array location:
array (0,0) corresponds to (49.5S, 179.375W)
array (0,288) corresponds to (49.5S, 179.375E)
array (100,0) corresponds to (49.5N, 179.375W)
array (100,288) corresponds to (49.5N, 179.375E)
Reading the files:
- Data not meeting criteria: -77
The above Tropospheric Ozone Residual (TOR) files (in NetCDF format)
can be opened and displayed with an application, such as Grid Analysis
and Display System (GrADS), or with a programming language such as IDL.
If you're using GrADS to display the data, a descriptor file is needed.
An example is given below:
TITLE Tropospheric Ozone Residual
XDEF x 288 LINEAR -179.375 1.25
YDEF y 100 LINEAR -49.5 1
TDEF time 12 LINEAR JAN1979 1mo
TOR=>tor 1 99 Tropospheric Ozone Residual
- If you use any of the data listed above, please include the following reference:
- Fishman, J., A.E. Wozniak, and J.K. Creilson, Global distribution of tropospheric ozone from satellite measurements using the empirically corrected tropospheric ozone residual technique: Identification of the regional aspects of air pollution, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 3, 893-907, 2003.
- Visit the Publications and Presentations page for a copy of this paper.