Anum Barki Ashraf (NASA)
Title: Principal Investigator for DEMETER
Technical Focus Area: Climate Science
Study Topics: Next generation Earth Radiation Budget instrumentation
Dr. Ashraf currently serves as the Principal Investigator for the next-generation Earth radiation budget sensor development project called DEMETER. In this capacity she leads a team of engineers and scientists to develop a sensorcraft that demonstrates a game-changing approach for measuring the Earth Radiation Budget Fundamental Climate Data Record by exploiting the science capability and greatly exceeding data quality of current measurement and incorporating intelligent on-board data processing. Dr. Ashraf also served as the Deputy Project Scientist for the radiometric modeling of the Radiation Budget Instrument and an electro-optical engineer on the CERES calibration team. In this capacity she contributed to the mission by providing support in the areas of optical and radiometric design, development of the instrument, and its calibration and characterization activities. As DPS, she led a team of engineers and scientists from across NASA Langley’s multifaceted branches to support a multi-disciple research effort in developing numerical tools and models to support instrument design, development and anomaly resolution.
- 2020 NASA Honor Group Achievement Award (CERES IWG)
- 2015 Early Career Achievement Medal
- 2014 NASA Group Achievement Award (CERES FM6)
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, VA, 2020
- M.S., Optical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, OH, 2013
- B.S., Biomedical Engineering, Wright State University, OH, 2011
- 2020 – Present, Principal Investigator DEMETER, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
- 2017 – 2020, Instrument Scientist, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
- 2013 – 2017, Electro-Optics Engineer, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
- 2010 – 2013, Lead Research Engineer, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH
Need to get in touch with Anum Ashraf Barki? Fill out the contact form below.