Constantine Lukashin (NASA)
Title: Physical Scientist
Technical Focus Area: Climate Science, Flight Projects
Mission/Project: CLARREO Pathfinder, ARCSTONE
Study Topics: Earth Climate, lunar calibration approach, reference inter-calibration, technology development
Dr. C. Lukashin is a Physical Research Scientist at NASA Langley Research Center leading the development of approach, methodology and algorithms for reference inter-calibration in reflected solar for CLARREO Pathfinder and ARCSTONE projects. He has extensive experience in remote sensing data calibration and validation, data merging and analysis, scientific algorithm development, analytical and Monte Carlo modeling. His approach of using Artificial Neural Networks for top-of-atmosphere flux retrievals from CERES measurements is successfully used in other missions – Megha-Tropiques and EarthCARE (ESA). He has acquired extensive experience relevant to observations from spaceborne sensors of different types — CERES (broadband radiometer), MISR (narrowband multi-angle radiometer), SCIAMACHY (hyperspectral), POLDER (multi-angle polarimeter). Dr. Lukashin served as PI of the NASA Information And Data System (NAIADS) project, funded by ESTO AIST program in 2015. Currently, he is PI of the ARCSTONE project for establishing the Moon as accurate calibration reference for spaceborne sensors in reflected solar wavelength range.
- Swanson R., M. Kehow, M. Stebbins, H. Courrier, T. Jackson, C. Lukashin, M. Cooney, W. Davis, G. Kopp, P. Smith, C. Buleri, T. Stone, “The ARCSTONE Project to Calibrate Lunar Reflectance,” 2020 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, USA, 2020, pp. 1 – 10, doi: 10.1109/AERO47225.2020.9172629.
- Lukashin, C., Z. Jin, G. Kopp, D.G. MacDonnell, and K. Thome, “CLARREO Reflected Solar Spectrometer: Restrictions for Instrument Sensitivity to Polarization,” IEEE Trans. Geo. Rem. Sens., v. 53, pp. 6703 – 6709, 2015. 3.
- Lukashin, C., B.A. Wielicki, D.F. Young, K. Thome, Z. Jin, and W. Sun, “Uncertainty Estimates for Imager Reference Inter-Calibration with CLARREO Reflected Solar Spectrometer”, IEEE TGRS Special Issue, v. 51., n. 3, pp. 1425 – 1436, 2013.
- Loeb, N.G., B.A. Wielicki, W. Su, K. Loukachine, W. Sun, T. Wong, K.J. Priestley, G. Matthews, W.F. Miller, and R. Davies, “Multi-instrument comparison of top-of-atmosphere reflected solar radiation,” J. of Climate, v. 20, No. 3, 575 – 591, 2007.
- K. Loukachine and N.G. Loeb, “Top-of-Atmosphere Flux Retrievals from CERES Using Artificial Neural Networks”, J. of Rem. Sen. of Environ., v. 93, No. 3, 381 – 390, 2004.
- ARCSTONE: Calibration of Lunar Spectral Reflectance from Space, https://mediaex-server.larc.nasa.gov/Academy/Play/ed1d00768a15486096edf4dac6d8cc7b1d
- Obtained two US patents for Ground-to-Space Laser Calibration (GSLC) approach
- NASA LaRC Technology Transfer Awards, 2012 & 2015
- Ph.D. in Physics, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA., 2000
- M.S. in Physics and Engineering, St-Petersburg Polytechnic University, Russia., 2019
Astrophotography and night-landscape photography.
Need to get in touch with Constantine Lukashin? Fill out the contact form below.