David Borges (NASA)
Title: Physical Scientist
Technical Focus Area: Chemistry & Dynamics, Applied Science
Program: Applied Sciences Disasters Program
Study Topics: Disaster risk reduction, Disaster response, Geospatial analytics, International Relations, Flood risk, Coastal Resilience
David Borges is a Physical Scientist with the NASA Earth Applied Sciences Disasters Program at NASA Langley Research Center. He provides international project management and geospatial analytics solutions to disaster related issues on a global scale through application development and geospatial enablement of Earth observation information. David currently serves as a Group on Earth Observation (GEO) Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRR WG) Co-Chair and the Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) Working Group Disasters (WGDisasters) Secretariat. He is also an active member of the UNDRR Global Risk Assessment Framework (GRAF) WG and UN-GGIM WG-Disasters. Before joining NASA, David spent ten years in the private sector supporting a variety of clients, including the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS). He is a GISCI Certified GIS Professional (GISP), PMI Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) and received his Bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information Science from Old Dominion University.
- GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) Project Management Institute (PMI)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS)
- Geographic Information Science, BS, Old Dominion University
- GISCI GIS Professional (GISP)
- PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM)
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM), former
- Group on Earth Observations (GEO)
- Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRR WG), Co-Chair
- Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS)
- Working Group Disasters (WGDisasters), Secretariat
- United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) Working Group Disasters, U.S. Member
Supporting local community disaster response/resilience efforts, surfing, prone paddleboarding and mountain biking with my son.
Need to get in touch with David Borges? Fill out the contact form below.