Jayanta Kar (Contractor)
Title: Research Scientist Lead
Technical Focus Area: Atmospheric Composition, Lidar Science
Study Topics: Remote sensing, aerosols, planetary atmospheres.
Jayanta’s early research was in the area of Astrophysics, studying the effect of magnetic fields on stellar structure and oscillations. Subsequently, he worked on the ionospheres of Venus and Mars and their interaction with the solar wind using spacecraft data. Currently he is interested in remote sensing of various gas species like carbon monoxide, ozone as well as aerosols using data from earth orbiting satellites, like MOPITT, SAGE II/III and CALIPSO.
- J. Kar, K.-P. Lee, M. Vaughan, J. Tackett, C. Trepte, D. Winker, P. Lucker and B. Getzewich (2019), CALIPSO L3 stratospheric aerosol profile product: algorithm description and initial assessment, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 12, 6173-6191, 2019.
- J. Kar, M. Vaughan, J. Tackett, Z. Liu, A. Omar, S. Rodier, C. Trepte, P. Lucker (2018), Swelling of transported smoke from Savanna fires over the South East Atlantic Ocean, Remote Sensing of Environment, 211, 105-111.
- J. Kar, J. Fishman, J. K. Creilson, A. Richter, J. R. Ziemke and S. Chandra,(2010), Are there urban signatures in the tropospheric ozone column products from satellite measurements?, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 10, 5213-5222.
- J. Kar, J. R. Drummond, D. B. A. Jones, J. Liu, F. Nichitiu, J. Zou, J. C. Gille, D. P. Edwards, M. N. Deeter (2006), Carbon monoxide (CO) maximum over the Zagros mountains in the Middle East: Signature of mountain venting?, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 33, L15819.
- J. Kar, H. Bremer, James R. Drummond, Y. J. Rochon, D. B. A. Jones, F. Nichitiu, J. Zou, J. Liu, J. C. Gille, D. P. Edwards, M. N. Deeter, G. Francis, D. Ziskin, and J. Warner (2004), Evidence of Vertical Transport of Carbon Monoxide From Measurements of Pollution in the Troposphere (MOPITT), Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L23105.
- J. Kar, C. R. Trepte, L. W. Thomason, J. M. Zawodny, D. M. Cunnold and H.-J. Wang (2002), On the Tropospheric Measurements of Ozone by the Stratospheric Aerosol and Gas Experiment II (SAGE II, version 6.1) in the Tropics, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 29.
- J. Kar, C.R.Trepte, L.W. Thomason and J.M. Zawodny(2002), Observations of layers in ozone vertical profiles from SAGE II (v 6.0) measurements, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 29.
- J. Kar (1996), Recent advances in Planetary Ionospheres, Space Science Reviews, vol 77, p 193-266.
- J. Kar (1990), On the implications of an intrinsic magnetic field in early Mars, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 17, p 113.
- J. Kar and K.K.Mahajan (1987), On the response of ionospheric magnetization to solar wind dynamic pressure from Pioneer Venus Orbiter measurements, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 14, p 507.
- National Research Council (NRC) / NASA Senior Research Associateship at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, 1991-1993.
- NASA Group Achievement award, CALIPSO algorithm and data processing team, NASA Langley Research Center, 2011.
- William T. Pecora Group Award (NASA/USGS), Terra MOPITT team, 2019.
- American Geophysical Union
- 1983: Ph.D (Physics), Univ. of Delhi, India.
- 1979: M.Phil (Physics & Astrophysics), Univ. of Delhi, India.
- 1978: M.Sc. (Physics), Univ. of Delhi, India.
- 1976: B.Sc. (Hons.in Physics), Univ. of Delhi, India.
- Reading, traveling