Xia Cai (Contractor)
Title: Research Scientist
Technical Focus Area: Lidar Science, Planetary Science, Heliophysics
Study Topics: Retrieve cloud properties with Lidar measurement, cloud climatology, space weather in terms of solar wind – magnetosphere – ionosphere – upper atmosphere coupling
Xia lead the algorithm development of a suite of level 3 cloud products in the CALIPSO Lidar Science Working Group since 2014. Before joining NASA family, Xia examined how the upper atmosphere is affected by solar activity using both numerical simulations and large data sets from satellites and ground observation networks as a research scientist at Virginia Tech. Xia finished her postdoc training at Virginia Tech after graduated from the University of Michigan. Xia was an adjunct professor teaching physics at CNU and atmosphere science at ODU. She served as program coordinator of NSF Geospace Environmental Modeling program for about 3 years.
- GEM postdoctoral research fellowship, National Science Foundation (2007-2010)
- College of Engineering Graduate Distinguished Achievement Award, University of Michigan (2005)
- Ph.D. Atmospheric and Space Science, the University of Michigan
- M.S. Atmospheric and Space Science, the University of Michigan
- B.S. Space Physics, the University of Science and Technology of China
American Geophysical Union
Baking, sewing and crafts, camping and hiking
Need to get in touch with Xia Cai? Fill out the contact form below.